Thrifty Thursday + New Smashbox Palet!

It seems like Vancouver has a big weather switch, much like a light switch, that turned on today on the arrival of Summer. It's been so dismal lately, with gray skies, rain, and intermittent teasings of sunshine, but as of today it's hot, sunny, and summery! Sure there's still a few clouds kicking around, but I'm dying of heat in my tiny apartment with all the windows open, so I know it's definitely summertime!

Thrifting Tips


{Photo by Ollie Crafoord}

Tip #5 - Get Out of the "Flooded" Zones
Vancouver is no stranger to thrifting + vintage stores. With this surge in popularity comes price hikes, quick pickings through new stock, and a huge amount of non-unique items (I see the same tops at multiple thrift stores... part of thrifting to me is getting something that I may not see on every other person on the streets). When I get outside of these "flooded" zones into the smaller towns and shops that are not so heavily picked over, I find a higher amount of quality items, and super awesome vintage items! Don't think you have the time to get out of your local zone? No worries, when you do go on vacation, make sure to research some shops in that area to visit that you've never seen before!

Tip #6 - Don't Underestimate the Garage Sale
I think the surge of vintage and thrift stores becoming "cool" has caused the downfall of the popularity of the good old garage sale. I have fond memories of my grandfather driving me around to garage sales and letting me pick through the "treasures" for toys or other items I wanted to aquire. Not only was it a fun bonding experience that always brings a smile to my face upon rememberence, but I got twice the amount of loot because we could afford it, rather than only 1 brand new toy! To a six year old, that's pretty darn awesome! Thanks Grandpa for teaching me the art of the garage sale. ♥ I don't know if you can remember if now, but I will always treasure that time together. The current purse I carry (and absolutely adore!) is a soft faux leather bag with menacing spiked studs. It's in great condition, and I bought it at a lawn sale for $15 bucks! Plus they were raising money to go on a Paris adventure, and I am in full support of traveling! Keep an eye on newspapers, craigslist, or if you live in a large city centre or town with physical paper postings (some Vancouver people post old school cardboard signs for garage sales, others design posters and post them around) make sure to take a walk and pay attention to any signs you see advertising future lawn sales!

Thrifting Rescue 101


{Photo by Pete}

Removing Underarm Stains
I tend to disreguard items with underarm stains unless it's something I just absolutely can't live without. If you fall in love with an item that needs some rescuing, try this trick with items commonly found in your home:
Mix 1 part Dawn dishsoap with 2 parts hydrogen peroxide. Spray it onto the area you want to clean, and let sit for an hour before washing. If you notice after that hour that the stain is still very apparent, try scrubbing with an old toothbrush and baking soda before washing.

New Smashbox Palet

I know this has nothing to do with thrifting, but I'm way too excited not to share it!


{Smashbox Fame Palet}

I absolutely adore makeup, so when I saw this palet yesterday at Shoppers, I had to have it! It just so happens I got a ridiculous amount of Optimum points out of it as well (16,000 woo hoo!) so I'm stoked at this purchase. I've been looking for a summery shimmery palet with peachy tones, browns, and some kind of bright eye catching colour, and this has it all! I'm so excited to try it out!


{Oooh pretty colours!}



{My favourite colour of the bunch: Sherbert! I can't wait to try it out!!}


Do you have a favourite brand of cosmetics? Let me know on twitter, facebook, or below!

Don't forget to enter our June Giveaway!

This entry was posted on Thursday 21 June 2012. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

One Response to “Thrifty Thursday + New Smashbox Palet!”

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! We read & treasure every one <3