Thrifty Thursday + Favourite Vintage Finds!

I'm so frustrated with our Vancouver summer. We keep getting glimpses of high temperatures, blue skies, and sunshine... only to have it covered with gray and cold winds a few hours later! Most people I've talked to have no optimism in their voices when we speak about the summer weather, in face a few even commented "I doubt we'll even get a Summer." How sad! The environmentalist in me wants to rant and rave about why this is our doing, but this is not the place for it. :) I'll keep my fingers crossed for a brighter future in Canada in more ways than one!! Let's get on with what this post is really about... ;)

Thrifting Tips


{Photo by Tinou Bao}
7. Know Your Fabrics
This is a subject that I need to take more time to study. I know many fashionistas that can tell a fabric simply by touch, and that is a skill that can come in handy while doing a quick thrift! Determining the value of an item largely depends on the material it is made of. This also helps determine how "high maintenence" an item is going to be. Will you have to take it to the dry cleaners or can you wash it at home? Does it wrinkle quickly, or can you pack it and take it with you without needing an iron? Things like this help me decide whether I really "need" an item, especially if it's similar to something I already own. I have a fabric swatch book from fashion school, so I like to keep that on hand to identify obscure vintage items. You can make your own swatch book by collecting small samples from the discount bin at fabric stores. Just cut a small square of the fabric, and tape or glue it to a page with the description and content next to it. Whenever you need to identify a fabric for washing or stain removal you'll have a handy reference guide! You can also put stain removal tips next to your fabric swatches in your sample book for even easier guidance!

8. If All Else Fails, Use Fabric Dye!
Have you tried absolutely everything to get that pesky stain our of your favourite skirt or pair of jeans? When all else fails and the item is destined for the donate bin, why not try dying it first? This is a great way to experiment with fabric dyes and different effects, plus you can give items a completely different look! If the fabric is a light colour, try pastel dip dyes on lighter stains, or go big and dye it a midnight blue or black! If you're dealing with a dark fabric, dry using bleach to achieve a dying effect (make sure to be careful and wear gloves!), or splatter it across to camoflouge the stain!


{Photo by Inger Maaike}

Thrifting Rescue 101

If you're a visual learner (like myself) then reading all that text above about dying is well and good, but you might be a bit confused still on how it's all done. Because I am at the mercy of my iphone for photos right now (I am saving up for a new camera!!) I've sourced some videos from youtube for you to demonstrate! Want to dip dye the fabric freely by hand with multiple colours? Try this video from Otis College. Would you rather have a measurement to go by to get an ombre look with one colour? Check out this DIY ombre shirt tutorial!

Thrifty Finds

This is a new section I plan to feature every Thursday! Have you found a vintage or thrifty item we need to see? E-mail us at pirateandlilac AT gmail.com!

Maxi Skirts from Etsy


{Vintage 1960s Maxi Skirt, $38.00}

{Vintage 1980s Sheer Black Skirt, $48.00 }

{Vintage 1980s Raulph Lauren Maxi, $38.00}


Only 2 Days Left in June's Giveaway!!


This entry was posted on Thursday 28 June 2012. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response.

Leave a Reply

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment! We read & treasure every one <3